jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject javadoc "audience tag" for jackrabbit?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:05:31 GMT
hi all,

if someone clicks on the "API Documentation" link on
the jackrabbit website they will get the java-doc of the
implentation which is at least for "end-users" of
jackrabbit almost useless.

now, obviously the jsr-170 should cover quite a bit of
the api that is of interest to the end-user, so it is
obvious that we might want to include that.

in addition to what is provided by jsr-170 there are
a number of obvious functional extensions things
such as "registering nodetypes", "creating
workspaces" and the likes which are implementation
specific, and therefore will not appear in the jsr-170
api.

since these are only very isolated api's that should
be used by the "end-user" we might want to tag
them specially. at day we introduced an @audience tag
for that purpose. the @audience tag would point out
to whom this method is interesting, maybe we could
use something like:

@audience user
which could contain all the "public" apis that are
used by people who want to just "use" the
jackrabbit repository

@audience extensions
api's that are interesting to people who would
create extend jackrabbit such using different
persistence managers or search indexes etc...

@audience dev
internas that are interesting to the jackrabbit developers.

comments or other best practices?
or should we just try to deal with this from with
package-space approach?

regards,
david