jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a workspace?
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 14:12:14 GMT
hi olli,

thanks for your question, i think that questions like that are probably
answered best by the spec itself.
the version of the spec that used for public review might be a bit
out of date, however it could still help answering those fundamental
questions:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr170/index.html

> Thanks for the answers, but this confuses me more than it helps. Could
> you give any example where there would be more than one workspace. How
> do I create one then? How would I discard one?
administrational tasks of the repository have purposely been excluded
from the spec. so things like modifying nodetypedefinitions or
workspaces are not part of jsr-170. as for how to do that with
jackrabbit, you can either do that by using the respective api
calls or just creating a directory under "workspaces" and copy
the workspace.xml into the newly created folder.

> I understand versions, I understand check in/out, I know CVS. I do not
> see how the jsr170 workspace usage would match that of e.g. DeltaV.
> Does it?
well, it does. since geoff clemm was also one of the driving
forces behind the jsr-170 versioning chapter, i am sure it is
safe to say that things between jsr-147, deltav and jsr-170
are as mappable as possible. but i think the spec itself
is probably the best source for clarification in that respect.

regards,
david
standardize your content-repository !
                               http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170