jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit Transactions [former: Adding WebDAV to Jackrabbit]
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:10:14 GMT
> Actually Slide has its own JTA implementation!
ouch ;)

> I do not know
> what historical even was causing this, but it at least has the
> benefit that you do not need a full J2EE server. The drawback
> was/is that it is pretty hard to let Slide participate in a distributed
> transaction of a J2EE server.
hmmm.... i see... but wouldn't it be pointless to implement
xa, if you cannot participate in a distributed transaction?
to me that is the idea of xa, global transactions?

> As the server side Slide API is suboptimal (hihi)
> to program to and it is hard to change the transaction
> manager the solution was to create a client side JCA
> connector talking WebDAV to Slide that can participate
> in a JTA transaction of your J2EE server.
> This way you have a simply API (client side) to program
> to as well.
hmm... i would argue that it certainly makes a lot of sense
to have a repository implement jca, which certainly are
the plans ( model 2 on http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/arch/deploy.html )
this would then also expose a LocalTransaction, which in
my mind is effectively what you get from implementing
your proprietary (local) tm.
i do not entirely see why webdav needs to be in the picture
for that.

> Having said that, maybe it gets a bit easier to understand
> where I am coming from. Maybe it even is easier to explain
> what are the differences in Jackrabbit.
i think that clears up things for me... my question would
only be,
"why would you ever do that?"
... and if you for whatever reason decide to
implement a tm ...
"why wouldn't you do it really according to the jta spec,
where XAResources are enlisted with the xa tx?"
to me the slide transactions look like they are not really
jta, but just somehow use some jta interfaces in a
questionable way. but again my apologies, i might be
completely wrong here.

regards,
david