jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the 1mn test: first jackrabbit performance and scalability tests
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:39:44 GMT
Il giorno 12/nov/04, alle 10:22, David Nuescheler ha scritto:

> b) there are still a couple of functional blocks that
> are unfinished and we are still manipulating the core
> quite a bit so i am not sure whether it is the time to
> do performance tuning already, especially since i
> think we are in a somewhat acceptable range already.

Right. In reality my aim was to show some of my colleagues here, who
believe that the *only* way to store data in a fast, reliable and
scalable way is to use some big-name RDBMS (read "Oracle"), that there
are other ways that can be as fast or maybe faster.

Now, with my benchmarks I can show them some interesting numbers re raw
speed, but I am more concerned about reliability and scalability. For
instance, by stopping the benchmark abruptly (Ctrl-C) I managed to put
the workspace in a state where I couldn't restart the benchmark without
deleting the workspace and restarting from scratch. I am also concerned
about what would happpen if I were to make the benchmark
multi-threaded: are the current persistence-manager and filesystem
implementations threadsafe or more work has to be done in this area?

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/