jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: QandA vs DIY
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:19:54 GMT
On Nov 13, 2004, at 12:03 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> ehm, in my experience, providing user support *does* help them to get
> involved in a project.

Answering "I got this message X while doing Y and I don't know how
to fix it" is developer support.  Asking "How does Jackrabbit support
transactions?" is user support -- read the documentation and, if that
doesn't answer the question, read the code and suggest changes to
the documentation.  If there is no clue to be had anywhere, then tell
us where you looked first so that we know how to fix the documentation
for the next hundred people that would otherwise fall into the same
pattern and end up asking the same questions.

That is how collaboration works.  It does not work by QandA because we
cannot scale that fast.

> if they can't the thing running, I'm sure the won't be able to submit
> a patch either.

But they damn well better be able to submit a bug report.  We don't have
enough volunteers yet to support users, so we need people to collaborate
rather than treat our existing volunteers like a help-desk.

....Roy