jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR over RMI
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:31:16 GMT
hi jukka

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:25:29 +0200, Jukka Zitting <jukka@zitting.name> wrote:
> Based on Sylvain's proposal, I've now moved the current code into
> packages org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi, org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client,
> and org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.server, and changed the copyright notices
> to the Apache standard. The new version is available as a patch file,
> that should apply cleanly to the current codebase (all changes are new
> .java files in o.a.j.rmi.*, except the rmic addition to maven.xml). The
> patch file can be downloaded at
> http://zitting.name/jukka/2004/11/jcr-rmi-0.1.patch.

thanks for the patch. i quickly browsed through your code and here are
my first impressions:

- i like the approach/idea, a generic transparent rmi layer on top of
  the jcr api is certainly something usefull
- the correct headers etc. are all there
- as you already mentioned,  only a very small subset of the api is
  currently covered, e.g. Node.getParent(), Node.getNode(), Node.addNode(),
  Item.remove() (and many others) currently throw, BINARY, PATH, NAME,
  REFERENCE types are not yet supported., etc. this somehow limits its
  usability at the moment ;-)

i think it's too early to add your code as it is to jackrabbit because it's
currently missing implementations for most of the core methods. also,
if we would add it now, you would need to send patches whenever you
worked on it, this would mean unnecessary additional work for you and
for jackrabbit committers applying your incremental patches.

please don't get me wrong, i very much appreciate the work you've
done so far. i suggest you complete the implementation (i.e. map the
missing methods to remote calls) and send a patch once it's (functional)
complete.

i hope that's ok with you. i would love to have the rmi layer as an independant
jackrabbit subproject.

btw: in the expert group we're currently working on v0.16 of the spec.
this will
be internally released later this week. i intend to port jackrabbit to
v0.16 within
the next 2-3 weeks. there won't be any major changes in the api, though.
i leave it to you to decide whether you want to wait for v0.16 or not.

keep up the good work!

cheers
stefan