jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the 1mn test: first jackrabbit performance and scalability tests
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:44:13 GMT
Il giorno 11/nov/04, alle 17:27, David Nuescheler ha scritto:

>> I ran the code you posted on my local box and the results
>> are mostly comparable. However, I got a big performance
>> boost when using the LocalFileSystem on a Reiser4
>> filesystem (Linux 2.6.8): between 4 and 5 times faster
>> then ext3!
> cool. very interesting.

I performed the load test comparing the
ObjectPersistenceManager+CQFileSystem vs.
ObjectPersistenceManager+LocalFileSystem on Reiser4. The surprising
result is that they go at about the same speed! LFS on Reiser4 starts
at about 5s/1000n and grows slowly from that. After about 50k nodes,
the speed is around 9s. CQFS is comparable. I suspect the slowdown is
due to the memory consumption of the JVM growing rather than to the
number of files on disk.

Now, I find this very interesting, since I'd rather use a /real/
filesystem than something like CQFileSystem, which puts everything
inside one big file: I suspect this to be unmanageable when the size of
your repository becomes quite large. Please correct me if I have the
wrong impression.

I also suspect that it would be hard to beat these times with a JDBC
persistence manager.

Finally, maybe the LocalFileSystem class can be optimized further, what
do you think?

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/