jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Pfister <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: Adding WebDAV to Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:48:31 GMT
Hi Oliver,

Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Thanks, I now think understand the XASession.getXAResource() thing, it
> is for usage with the app server transaction manager, right?

Exactly, it is the one that should be returned in the
javax.resource.spi.ManagedConnection.getXAResource method.

> Concerning non-JTA interfaces there is this inferface looking weired
> http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/apidocs/org/apache/jackrabbit/core/state/tx/Transaction.html

Yes, I should have chosen another name, since this is already taken by
the JTA spec and therefore easily causes confusion. It should rather be
called TransactionContext, because it rather acts as part of a global
transaction. Right now, it also serves as controller for a local
transaction, which was probably not a good design decision.

> If a UserTransaction should be used does Jackrabbit require a full
> J2EE implementation then?

Yes, it does. Right now, an application server will always take the
extra steps of starting a global transaction even when none is required.
But as stated in the previous post, the "Transaction" should be
separated into a TransactionContext (when used in a global transaction)
and a LocalTransaction (when the application server determines that a
global transaction is unnecessary or when a client wants to start its
own, local transaction).

Cheers
Dominique