jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Florey" <daniel.flo...@web.de>
Subject Re: Order of events question
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:39:05 GMT
jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org schrieb am 15.11.04 15:34:28:

> > Hi,
> > I've implemented the event framework that is used in Slide. All event that occur
inside a single transaction remain their order and this is very userful:
> > If you for example add a resource and delete the same resource afterwards, an event
filer can be used to sort out double events. This is extremly useful if you want to update
a search index after (or before) transaction commit. As this is time consuming, event optimization
is very, very useful. This can only be achieved, when the event order is preserved.
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
>
> i think a search index update is exactly an application where
> chonological ordering is not desired. usually it is less expensive when
> you can batch index updates. e.g. first wipe out removed items and then
> add new ones.
>
> regards,
>   marcel

Just wanted to say that event ordering is helpful to find out what events are redundant. Have
a look at Slides EventCollections/EventFilters.
If you want to implement pluggable event based logging, event ordering is also very helpful.
This saved me much time in debugging/understanding what's going on in the Slide core.
But it all depends on what events are used for. I tried to keep it as open as possible, so
you can get every event inside a transaction or you can get a filtered event collection before/after
transaction commit.
Regards,
Daniel