jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query languages: Will joins be possible?
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:18:43 GMT
> another newbie questions:
> Will it be possible to make queries involving multiple nodes like
> with a classical SQL join?
> If XPath is the supported query language, I guess it is not
> possible. What about SQL or XQuery?
> Are there plans to support it?
it is the plan that jackrabbit will not only support the
mandatory features of jsr-170 also all the optional ones.
sql is currently an optional but speced query syntax.
therefore a table oriented model and sql as a query
language will be supported.

> And if so, will joins also be supported?
the jsr-170 spec will mandate only very limited
support joins to keep the entry barrier as low as
possible, but i think general support for joins
is one of the obvious extensions.

jsr-170 two query syntaxes are mapped to the same
query facility and therefore also a translator will
be made available that allows to translate from xpath
to sql and vice versa.

however, for portability reasons i would try to avoid
the necessity for joins in a data model ;)

regards,
david
standardize your content-repository !
                               http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170