jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Public NodeType Library (pntl)
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:41:36 GMT
hi stefano

> Now, you are proposing to enter the ontological realm. I completely
> agree that this is a required move: without a conceptual model of the
> data, it's impossible to write programs that use it, but, at the same
> time, and this is my day job, let me outline a few mistakes that people
> normally do and that might be avoided if we start with the right foot.
> There are two approaches to ontological harmonization: "thou shall use
> mine" and "be strict in what you use for yourself, be flexible on what
> you accept from others".
> I call the first, half joking, the "bush approach" and the second the
> "postel approach".
> The first leads to wars, the second leads to internets.

i completely agree.
my intention is certainly the latter, thats also why i tried to avoid having
those discussions in the specification process of jcr. i do not believe
that ontological conformity can be mandated in a successful way.

> In respect to JCR, there are few important things to say:
>   1) don't try to approach semantic interoperability across different
> containers. this is not your job, and this is not the right place, just
> focus on what you need to have done in order to make your life easier.
>   2) don't care about semantic interoperability but *DO CARE* about
> unique identification of concepts. Unique identification is the
> foundation of symbolic representation. In short, this means: use
> namespaces and use good future-proof technology/vendor-neutral URIs for
> them as much as possible.
>   3) don't overspecify: do the simplest thing that get your job done and
> allow others to do the same.
sounds great.

> my strong suggestion would be to use Dublin Core as a starting point for
> extrinsic metadata about objects.
yep, forgot about that... (scrap my prior suggestions)
dc sounds like a perfect starting point for meta-data to me.
thanks.

regards,
david

standardize your content-repository !