jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Wiki for Jackrabbit
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:27:43 GMT
> Wikis have proven themselves time after time as a great way for rapid
> prototyping of documentation. Patches to xdocs doesn't offer the
> instant gratification of wikis, or the ability to edit/review/edit in
> such a tight circle.

They have proven themselves time after time to be a great way to
waste the productive efforts of people who expect their musings on
the wiki to live long enough to make it into the real documentation,
when in fact that doesn't happen because those contributions are
not properly identified and transformed.  If folks are forced to
submit patches, then the only contributions are serious ones that
are well-documented as to who they came from, why they are needed,
and demonstrative of someone who we might just want to add as a
regular committer.

....Roy