jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Wiki for Jackrabbit
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:27:10 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> Wikis have proven themselves time after time as a great way for rapid
>> prototyping of documentation. Patches to xdocs doesn't offer the
>> instant gratification of wikis, or the ability to edit/review/edit in
>> such a tight circle.
>

> They have proven themselves time after time to be a great way to
> waste the productive efforts of people who expect their musings on
> the wiki to live long enough to make it into the real documentation,
> when in fact that doesn't happen because those contributions are
> not properly identified and transformed.

that's certainly true for some cases, but that doesn't mean it's bad in
general. The difference between Wiki and "Real Docs" are a little bit
like the difference between a Scripting Language and a language like
Java. It's question of how and when one is using it.

> If folks are forced to
> submit patches, then the only contributions are serious ones that
> are well-documented as to who they came from, why they are needed,
> and demonstrative of someone who we might just want to add as a
> regular committer.

IIRC the Cocoon community introduced so-called doc committers which had
a lower entry barrier. You might want to consider something like that as
well.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner