jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Rolf Kulemann <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki for Jackrabbit
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:52:42 GMT
On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 21:35, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 22 Oct 2004, at 20:12, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > I'll create the wiki when I have time to do so (sometime today).
>
> Cool, thanks.
>
> > However, I don't want to see a bunch of crap posted on a wiki that
> > belongs in the real documentation.  Why can't folks just post patches
> > to the xdocs?
>
> That's a bit harsh.

Up to a certain point I agree with Roy, since one needs to migrate the
doc later (painful?) to the xdoc or whatever.

> Wikis have proven themselves time after time as a great way for rapid
> prototyping of documentation. Patches to xdocs doesn't offer the
> instant gratification of wikis, or the ability to edit/review/edit in
> such a tight circle.

I also agree with you. Seems we need and integrated documentation system
with workflow which directly has impact to the xdoc in svn or cvs.

But since we do not have such a system, yet, a wiki is good for rapid
docu prototyping and users can help without messing around with patches.

The barrier for writing docu should be as low as possible.

--
Rolf Kulemann