jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rename org.apache.jackrabbit.jcr -> org.apache.jackrabbit.rep
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:49:47 GMT
hi stefano,

of course i agree with your statement about not having too many
irons in the fire.

i think that jackrabbit should at least host some simple way
way to interact with the repository from an end user's perspective.
in my mind these things include a web-based repository browser
and some sort of webdav connectivity.

since these portions are not part of the "core repository" and are
operating as applications on top of the jsr-170 api, and also have
extended dependencies (eg. a servlet container) i would like to
keep them seperately from the "core" repository.

i think that an application should be able to use a the "jackrabbit core
repository" as a simple .jar without the all the .war specific information,
while the combination with a servlet container is frequent enough to
create some simple generic web applications (of the type mentioned above)
to make people life easier, when it comes to deployment and usage of the
repository.

after all i would like to rephrase my earlier statement saying that
"jackrabbit is more than a repository" into "jackrabbit is a full-fledged
repository" [including obvious protocol bindings, the tck and possibly
a repository admin console;)]

since i lost now track of what people's opinions are i would like to
re-iterate the obvious options that i see (please extend or correct).

(a) leave as is: org.apache.jackrabbit.jcr[.core]
(b) bump up to: org.apache.jackrabbit[.core]
(c) org.apache.jackrabbit.repo

since this involves quite a bit of refactoring i would like to make sure that
we have have a good consensus on that. to me it seems like option (b) has
the consent of stefano, tim and (as per right now) myself, is that right?

regards,
david