jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Distributing the JCR API jar?
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:43:05 GMT
On Sep 23, 2004, at 8:31 AM, Paul Russell wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2004, at 12:10, David Nuescheler wrote:
>> in my mind, and roy please correct me if i am mistaken,
>> the jcr.jar is distributed according to the day-jsr-license.
>> http://www.day.com/content/en/licenses/day-jsr-license-2.0
>> which essentially a jcp-ized version of the apache 2.0 license.
>> so i do not see any issue redistrubuting the actual jcr.jar .
> Okay. I must confess I hadn't realised that you could impose a
> particular licence over code which forms part of a JCR, since they are
> by definition a collaborative development effort.

The JSPA places a lot of restrictions on what the Spec Lead can do
with the interface files.  The RI and TCK can be open source, but the
actual API defined by the specification is required (by Sun, not Day)
to be under a more restrictive license.  We actually have the most
open source license possible under the circumstances.

AFAIK, the same technique is used by the other JSR-based projects.
Does Tomcat do something different for the Servlet API?  Is there
a way to distinguish between an in-progress API (which could be included
as source in the Jackrabbit module) and the official versions of
the API (which can only be distributed from java.sun.com)?

> Does this imply that anyone using Jackrabbit, which obviously depends
> on the JCR API is bound by the Day licence? That doesn't cause /me/ a
> problem, as it's ASL2.0 derived, but it does seem a slightly peculiar
> situation for something that will be part of J2EE some day.

That condition is true of all JCP specs.

> Have I misunderstood? Would sun have to do a 'clean room'
> re-implementation of this to make it part of J2EE?

No, Sun would just use the jar.  Sun has a lot of Apache-licensed code
in the J2EE.

>> i am not sure how the situation looks with building the jcr.api
> To be honest, as long as Day are prepared to build the .jar and ensure
> the version in the maven repository is up-to-date, I don't see that we
> have a problem. It was just a thought that we could build the jar at
> the same time if getting it injected into maven regularly is a
> problem, particularly if there's any scope for it evolving
> significantly.

We can ensure the version in jackrabbit is up to date.  I don't think
we are able to place it in a public maven repository until both the
spec and the code are at final release.  Can't we just add a pre-script
to the Maven build such that it copies the jcr-in-progess jar file from
the svn checkout to the local maven repository?

View raw message