jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <pruss...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributing the JCR API jar?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:31:04 GMT
Thanks for your reply David.

On 23 Sep 2004, at 12:10, David Nuescheler wrote:
> in my mind, and roy please correct me if i am mistaken,
> the jcr.jar is distributed according to the day-jsr-license.
> http://www.day.com/content/en/licenses/day-jsr-license-2.0
> which essentially a jcp-ized version of the apache 2.0 license.
> so i do not see any issue redistrubuting the actual jcr.jar .

Okay. I must confess I hadn't realised that you could impose a
particular licence over code which forms part of a JCR, since they are
by definition a collaborative development effort. Does this imply that
anyone using Jackrabbit, which obviously depends on the JCR API is
bound by the Day licence? That doesn't cause /me/ a problem, as it's
ASL2.0 derived, but it does seem a slightly peculiar situation for
something that will be part of J2EE some day.

Have I misunderstood? Would sun have to do a 'clean room'
re-implementation of this to make it part of J2EE?

> i am not sure how the situation looks with building the jcr.api

To be honest, as long as Day are prepared to build the .jar and ensure
the version in the maven repository is up-to-date, I don't see that we
have a problem. It was just a thought that we could build the jar at
the same time if getting it injected into maven regularly is a problem,
particularly if there's any scope for it evolving significantly.

Paul
--
Paul Russell
E-mail: prussell@apache.org