isis-users mailing list archives

From Francois Dumas <francois.du...@sys-integrator.com>
Subject RE: Faster development turnaround times
Date Thu, 31 May 2018 06:50:08 GMT
Thanks for your prompt response Andi.

This is very good news as the prospect of having to go back to traditional stop/full redeploy/start
cycle with long turnaround times could have been a deal breaker for me.    In this case, I
shall start my proof of concept on Isis and look forward to switching to the Skinny-WAR approach
when the time comes.

In the meantime, I will carry on tinkering with the Gradle approach on the side and see if
I get anywhere (I was looking for an excuse to learn Gradle eventually, so this might just
be it 😉)

Thanks
François

-----Original Message-----
From: Andi Huber [mailto:ahuber@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:32 AM
To: users@isis.apache.org
Subject: Re: Faster development turnaround times

Hi François,

I'm using a different approach called Skinny-WAR deployment:

In my IDE I've prepared a payara (others like tomcat should work as well) with shared libraries,
such that my actual WAR files are usually less then 2MB in size.
So the entire Apache Isis ecosystem's libraries are not included with the WAR file and the
servlet-engine is up and running during the entire development session, no need to restart.

That way, when I change a java file in the IDE, a redeployment happens automatically and does
not take longer than 4-6 sec on my machine.

We are working hard on the coming 2.0.0-M1 pre-release. While code is almost ready for production,
documentation still lags behind. But we will (sooner or later) include documentation on how
to setup such a Skinny-WAR deployment.

Cheers, Andi!

On 2018/05/29 07:39:35, Francois Dumas <francois.dumas@sys-integrator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having discovered Apache Isis last year and having been very impressed by it,  I'm now
attempting to use it for my next work project.

> On my last Java project, I got a JRebel license which means I am now
> quite spoiled and have become rather intolerant to the "code/stop
> server/build/deploy/start server" cycle.  ;-)
>
> I'm trying the different methods explained in the Developers' Guide [1] to decrease dev
turnaround times using the SimpleApp archetype but I have not succeeded so far.

[...]