isis-users mailing list archives

From Curt Cox <curt...@gmail.com>
Subject Boilerplate reduction and other new user observations
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2017 15:26:51 GMT
I'm new to Apache Isis, but familiar with the basic concept behind it. Here
are some first impressions of things that could be made better:

1) The simpleapp archetype link on the isis.apache.org front page is broken.
2) In general, the documentation seems to have a fair number of broken
links and missing images.
3) After using maven to generate and run the archetype, I had to clear my
browser cookies to avoid a "too many redirects" error accessing the
application. Clearing the cookies worked, but I don't know why I had to and
was hesitant to do so.
4) SimpleObject contains a lot of boilerplate. It's not clear how much of
that is required and how much is intended to show what can be customized. I
suggest providing more sample classes, where one class shows how simple a
domain class can be and others show points of customization. Ideally, I
would like to be able to start with a domain class that is no more verbose
than a @Canonical Groovy class and customize from there as needed.

I'm still investigating Apache Isis and wanted point out some things that
will discourage some new users.

- Curt