isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Edit modes in Apache Isis
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 06:00:27 GMT
Hi Hector,
welcome to the users@ mailing list.

I'm afraid that there isn't a setting to go back to the previous behaviour,
but there are some good reasons - some practical, some more philosophical -
why this change has been made.

The practical reason is that with tabs, it's not particularly clear what a
global edit should be... should it be for all properties, including those
not visible on other tabs?  or should it somehow disable being able to
switch tabs when in edit mode? or perhaps there should be not a global edit
but instead an edit per fieldset/member group?  It wasn't at all clear
which was preferable.

Second, we've had a ticket knocking around for a while to move editing
towards that in JIRA, where one clicks in the field and then can do an
in-situ edit.  The current implementation isn't quite a slick as that, but
the number of clicks is actually the same.

The philosophical reason is that, actually, it positions the framework away
from the common perception of it being a CRUD framework; instead it is also
for (even mostly for) complex domains where the is significant business
logic to transition from one state of the system to another.  When Jeroen
was implementing Estatio [1] he deliberately made all fields read-only (in
stark contrast to the packaged application it replaced), not because there
wasn't a requirement to allow the data to be changed, but instead he wanted
the business users to come back to him and explain WHY the data should be
changed.  (For example, changing the end of a tenancy date has impact
elsewhere).  So it helped us get a deeper insight into the domain, and we
encoded that insight into actions.

For the big Naked Objects system in Ireland, we also only have actions, no
edits... eg award a pension claim or disallow a jobseekers allowance
claim.  Even for small stuff, eg a customer wants to change their phone
number, then this is an action because we then want to retain the old
address on file in a list of previous phone numbers. Again, the action
helps capture the intent.

~~~
If you want to allow an object's properties to be changed in bulk, then I
recommend that you add an action that accepts all the fields, and position
that action on a top-level panel.  We do this for the contactapp [2].  For
your remaining more complex objects, I suggest that you sprinkle in some
tabs, by way of recompense.

Hope that helps

Dan

[1] http://github.com/estatio/estatio