isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Spiro.Angular
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 23:44:18 GMT
On 20 November 2015 at 22:11, Cesar Lugo <cesar.lugo@sisorg.com.mx> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have been looking into Spiro.Angular, which is intended to facilitate
> access to restful web services . Is this library recommended and available?
> How can I install the library in my AngularJS application?

We haven't really done anything on it for quite a while (actually, over a
year, it would seem).  I was hoping that it might be a joint collaboration
with the Naked Objects guys, but it hasn't panned out that way.

That said, the NO guys have been working hard [1] on a separate codebase
building a new generic UI (that they've called "gemini"), using AngularJS
and against RO.  Actually, there are two generic UIs... the other is a
command line interface, hosted in the browser.

It looks like Stef (the main developer) has taken a copy of the Spiro
models from Spiro.Models and also the services from Spiro.Angular, and is
developing them further in the NO codebase.

I'm not exactly sure if any of Spiro has been reused for any of this; it
doesn't look like it.  More likely I suspect that Stef (the main developer)
took his learnings from building Spiro and used them for these new UIs.
What I see in nakedobjects.models.ts [2] looks rather similar to
Spiro.Models [3], and the representation loader service looks very similar
too [4], [5].

The Spiro stuff probably *is* a reasonable base to build from, but at some
point in the future we'll need to reconcile with the NO work.

> The name Spiro does not mean that is tight to Spiro realm , is it?

 Not sure I follow.  Spiro stands/stood for Single Page Interface to
Restful Objects.  Nothing to do with Shiro realms, for example.

> If I use Spiro.Angular, should I also use Spiro.Model? It looks to me that
> it's either one or the other, Spiro.Model if generic to JavaScript,
> Spiro.Angular if using AngularJS.

Yes, Spiro.Angular uses Spiro.Model.  Both are written in Typescript, the
repos have both the typescript and the javascript versions checked in.

> Would it help me to authenticate the AngularJS application to the RO
> server?

I don't think there's anything in their to do with authentication,
unfortunately.  Not knowing a lot about the topic, I never put it into the
RO spec.

Dan

> http://spirolibraries.github.io/Spiro.Angular/

[1] https://github.com/NakedObjectsGroup/NakedObjectsFramework