isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Course of Interest
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2015 00:24:39 GMT
On 2 November 2015 at 23:27, Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What relevance of this too Apache Isis? Well you nearly got it straight
> off, that the Isis meta-model is a model that maybe can be exported as OWL.
> I don't think so as its more of logical model than a conceptual one. I am
> thinking the other way around, that a conceptual model in OWL, or something
> else, could be the basis of the Isis meta-model.
>

> Also very interesting.  I think this would be doable... further thoughts
below.

> The thing that led me to Isis was that half of this picture is already
> done, the model to UI part, I thought maybe I could add the other half
> (person to model)?

Yes, perhaps...

Now that we have view models as first-class citizens, I could imagine an
Isis application where every semantic resource could be surfaced as an view
model (@DomainObject(nature=EXTERNAL_ENTITY) is probably how I would model
it).

Or, an alternative would be treat them as regular persisted entities via
DataNucleus, and use DN's Store API to know how to query a semantic web of
resources.  However, that's one extra layer to worry about which may or may
not work.  Sticking with Isis view models is probably easier.

> Also the meta-model in Isis is a OO model, which is
> nearly what you want perhaps?

As you know, the way in which Isis builds up its metamodel is quite
flexible (the FacetFactory API).    In Isis' default programming model
there is a "special" FacetFactory called
"PropertyOrCollectionIdentifyingFacetFactory" that is used to infer the
initial "know-what" structure of each domain class.  I could imagine a
similar facet factory for the semantic web that queried the OWL metamodel
(?) to ask which triples exist for a particular resource.

> That is what I want to get a handle on via
> this course.

Good stuff; will hear back presently no doubt!

Thx
Dan