isis-users mailing list archives

From Cesar Lugo <cesar.l...@sisorg.com.mx>
Subject RE: Course of Interest
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 15:59:41 GMT
Dan, I think this is an important and very interesting topic. I have some basic knowledge of
the semantic web concepts, and I have done some significant prototyping using semantic web
tools, just far from being an expert or knowledgeable person. As far as I k now, the semantic
web concept was developed by the father of the www, and it adds semantics to the web content,
and to the web applications as well. This has also been called the Web 3.0, and the semantic
web technologies go from adding semantics to the web pages, to build entire semantic applications.

On the UI web pages side, it adds semantics embedded within the HTML with semantic extensions,
so a browser would be able to know more information about the semantics of that page. For
example, when you look at an amazon's web page and find a book, you know that you are looking
at a book, you know what a book is, you know it's about growing apples, and you know some
numbers besides it are the different prices of the book, and the text besides it is an overview
of the book's contents. The browser, currently in web 2.0, does not know any of those semantics,
but just the page content in terms of things like fields, controls and links. The semantic
web lets the browser infer all those semantics from the web page, buy using ontologies and
extended dictionaries (they are currently creating ontologies based on Wikipedia content,
but structured so the systems can understand and infer meaning, not just content). The idea
is that having the browser know the semantics, it will help interact among other systems in
a more semantical way, like, for example, if you are interested in growing apples, then you
might also be interested in growing some kinds of organic food.

Then, at the domain logic layer, you use ontologies (expressed in RDFs) to represent your
domain, which allows you to re-use existing ontologies for common topics like a customer,
a vendor, a company, the relationship among people (like the FOAF friend of a friend ontology),
a product, and more. Then, there is a language called SPARQL, similar to SQL, but works at
the ontology level. All that and more lets you create your apps with semantic content all
over the app, not only at the UI. Your application will be more knowledgeable about the semantics
of the topics (domain objects) within it, so you can use knowledge management methods to define
and manage your domain logic and your exposed content, and interact with other systems at
a semantic level.

Cesar.