isis-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Datanucleus issues
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2015 23:32:50 GMT
Thanks for your help and I've no disagreement with your frank advice. I am
on the bottom end of a learning curve, one which I am working hard to
climb.

Just one question, about the domain service for each domain object, this
seems sensible for top-level objects, but isn't it contrary to good OO
modelling to do it for every domain object? DDD has the aggregates concept,
which if I understand means a hierarchy with the top level objects managing
the lower level ones.

For example in this scenario, it makes sense for an Activity to 'register'
a Participant and in doing so add a Participation to its participants
collection. Having a participation repository domain service just confuses
this.

Participation at the database level is a join table between Activity and
Participant for a many-to-many relationship, but it also holds data.

What I haven't done is model this properly in terms of these register and
unregister 'messages' (methods) for the Participant to use on Activity,
which I will now do, with some tests. But the right pattern to use is still
unclear.