isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: add-on ideas
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:58:27 GMT
Hi Steve,

thanks for these thoughts, comments within...

On 19 August 2015 at 23:05, Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Isis users,
>
> Just want to mention some ideas that have come up via discussions with
> client.
>
> Sticky Notes / Reminders
>
> The small application I am building is essentially a Client Relationshp
> Management (CRM) system. A big part of it is to schedule interactions
> (mainly just phone calls) to clients into the future and to allocate those
> to specific volunteers. I'm now interested to make use of the existing
> to-do demo app as part of my project. I've had the idea of making this
> generic so it can be used anywhere to add sticky notes that refer to one or
> more domain objects, Its an extension of the bookmark idea essentially.

We have something similar to this in Estatio, namely the concept of an
"Event".  The idea is that object can be an "event source", and thus
multiple events - essentially entries in a diary - can be associated with
that domain object.

Rather than using Isis' bookmarks though ... which don't allow referential
integrity to be enforced at the DB layer ... we have implemented this using
the "poly" addon [2].  This is a pattern that was originally developed on
the big (.NET) naked objects system in Ireland, and so I ported over to
Java and Isis.

Anyway, rather than reusing the ToDoItem, I suggest you grab the event
package from Estatio and use that instead.

> Forms Design.
>
> My client is interested to still have some paper forms, and when this
> subject comes up I always think one aspect of DDD is ultimately to let
> domain experts change their own models.
>
> Maybe this is why MS Access and Excel are so dominant? Also, why people,
> when a system doesn't provide all their needs, find work-arounds that
> usually involve private spreadsheets as secondary data stores. I have seen
> a few of those in the past week.
>
> So, a legitimate question that arises is "Will we be able to change it or
> do we need to pay an expert?". Being such an expert who wants to be paid
> its easy to say, "sorry you cannot change it, but with Apache Isis its not
> that costly to add changes, in fact its desirable to do so (so you don't
> end up using spreadsheets)".
>
> Getting to the point, a specific challenge is these paper forms, should the
> client maintain a Word Document version and a web-based data entry version?
> Its the same data-model, but the Word Document can be changed by the client
> and the web-based forms not. Given that web-forms can have a print
> stylesheet associated with them, this seems a sad situation to me.
>
> This is an old chestnut for me, and now again it comes up. I'd like to try
> solving it in Apache Isis. With its meta-model and via use of an EAV
> database design, or a graph database maybe, this seems possible.

We do have an addon for this, namely the "docx" add-on [3].  This allows
the template to be authored by the end users in Word (with the Developer
tab enabled), and then programmatically mail-merge in the document.  Some
coding is required (though there can be a standard set of fields always
merged in, eg an address or the current user, date, or freeform notes.

Again, I ported this over from the .NET app, where the design has stood up
well.

> One other solution I have seen is just to add some 'generic' properties
> into the data model entities, that the user can make use of to add things
> as they think of them. Periodically these can be properly renamed (by an
> expert), but it does allow the user to add simple things on the fly.

Exactly... this is what we do.

Cheers
Dan

> Regards