isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Ready for a 1.9.0 release?
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2015 07:50:33 GMT
On 16 August 2015 at 08:16, Kevin Meyer <kevin@kmz.co.za> wrote:

> Question: Given the changes, shouldn't we release a major release (2.0.0)
> [1]? The API certainly has changed since 1.7 (I call annotations part of
> the API).

As you say, we aim to follow semantic versioning.  But although we've
deprecated those old annotations they are still supported; which means that
we stay on 1.x codeline.  (I'm looking forward to moving up to 2.0 at some
point in the future so I can delete a bunch of deprecated stuff, but I
don't think it's been deprecated for long enough... the old annotations
were deprecated less than a year ago)

While on this topic, worth saying that setting the
"isis.reflector.validator.allowDeprecated" configuration property to false
is a useful migration step as it will flag all uses of the deprecated
annotations. [2]

> Re: your proposal for regular releases after this should be ok to push
> enhancements out into non-snapshot release, my only concern is that
> regularly releases should be OK as long as user devs developing with our
> platform don't have to change any existing code.

Absolutely, the intention is that it we would maintain backward
compatibility of the programming model (annotations etc).

As can be seen through the various 1.x releases, we have changed/improved
the bootstrapping and organization of code, and that might continue.  eg
the move to DN 4.x changes some of the pom.xml entries, and the new
appManifest stuff recommends introducing a new "myapp-app" module.  See
migration notes [3]

> It's OK if it's a bugfix/feature/enhancement that adds new functionality,
> when user devs just add more code to access it - but I would be concerned
> about monthly releases that require changes to code in production....

Agreed; that's not the intention.

> I'm interested in other opinions..
>
> Cheers!
> Kevin
>
> PS: The new asciidoc website looks really good!

Cheers... it took some work, and still work in progress, but I'm pleased
with how it's turned out and also how easy it is to update.

> [1] http://semver.org/

[2] http://isis.apache.org/guides/rg.html#_rg_runtime_configuring-core
[3]
http://isis.apache.org/migration-notes.html#_release-notes_migration-notes_1.8.0-to-1.9.0