isis-users mailing list archives

From Erik de Hair <e.deh...@pocos.nl>
Subject Re: Reset dependant choice
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2015 16:20:38 GMT
Hi Dan,

On 03/02/2015 03:35 PM, Dan Haywood wrote:
> Is there any use of setting the selected option to the first item of the
> choices? It seems a bit strange from the user's perspective.
>

> The rationale, IIRC, is that if the current value is not valid in the new
> set of choices --- if(!curr.containedIn(choiceMementos))  --- then we set
> the dependent choice to one of the valid set available as a convenience.
>
> I suppose, strictly speaking, that this should only be done if the
> dependent parameter is mandatory; otherwise a user might want to leave it
> as null.
I think, even when the parameter is mandatory, this should be handled by
validation. It would be even better to set it to null because the user
is forced to choose an option and would otherwise possibly submit a
selected value the user didn't want to set (and didn't see it changing).

>> I can reset it in my code but maybe this scenario isn't desirable for any
>> Isis application.
>>

> (Without trying it out for myself), I'm trying to think as to how you'd do
> that ...  in the defaultNXxx() method, I am guessing?

By copying the ReferencePanel-class to my app ;-) Just to try if it
works when setting it to null.