isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: New screencast on bulk updates using the Excel domain service
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:05:35 GMT
On 17 February 2014 06:42, <chittari.varma@wipro.com> wrote:

> So just one question: You mentioned that this screencast is for bulk
> updates through Excel. But Is this new feature can also do bulk inserts
> using Excel?

It would be easy enough to adapt the domain service to support this.

The way the domain service works is that:
- in ExcelService#toExcel() - ie for download - it exports the collection
of view models, and creates a spreadsheet with the "viewModelMemento"
column representing the Id of the view model, and the other columns
representing the state of the fields of the view model.
- in ExcelService#fromExcel() - ie for upload - it converts the spreadsheet
into a collection of view models, with each view model given an Id
corresponding to the viewModelMemento column, and the state copied over.

If doing a bulk insert, then the "viewModelMemento" column doesn't make
sense, because there is no existing data being exported.  So I could
imagine that a bulk insert would work simply by using an in-memory counter
and using this as the id of each view model.  After all: it's not the id
that makes sense for a bulk insert, it's the data being copied across from
the columns.

Please experiment with this, if you get something working, then raise a
pull request on my isis-domainservice-excel github repo and I'll
incorporate.  (Or, I might just do myself; having writen the above, I think
it's pretty trivial to support).

Cheers
Dan