isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject [DISCUSSION] next gen viewer
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2013 08:25:32 GMT
Breaking this out to a new thread...

~~~
Over the last few days I've (coincidentally) been having off-list
discussions with both Maurizio and Jeroen, thinking about what the next gen
viewer should be implemented and might look like.

We're all agreed, I think, that it should be a stateless RO-based viewer,
and that it should build on Spiro [1].

In other words, the next gen viewer will be an SPA app, with AngularJS
underneath, making RESTful calls to the Isis-provided backend.  The SPA app
would (as they all do) use some sort of templating framework and widget
framework for generate the GUI.  For the latter, I think that Bootstrap is
a candidate (though Jeroen didn't agree, I think).

Although (hopefully) scalable to the internet, the intent should still
primarily be for "problem solvers, not process followers", ie for those who
are familiar with the domain.

What that implies is solving the modality problem; allowing the user to
switch context and to associate different contexts.  The original DnD
viewer - whatever other faults it might have had - was very good at
supporting this, with its "desktop" (windowed) metaphor.  Adam Howard's
(currently stagnant) AROW viewer [2] also adopts a "desktop" metaphor.

At the other end of the spectrum, my Wicket viewer is very page oriented.
 This means that the user looks only at one object at a time.  The
autocomplete stuff makes it easier to associate stuff, and the bookmarks
panel helps provide some sense of context, but I'm the first to admit that
the Wicket viewer is closer to a website than an webapp.

Maurizio's DHTMLX viewer is more page oriented [3], but the use of tabs
does go a long way to mitigating this.  I probably should acknowledge that
tabs is a better metaphor for helping the user to maintain context than the
sliding bookmarks I've implemented in the Wicket viewer.

Anyway... no work on a new RO viewer is going to happen this side of Xmas,
but it might be worth arranging some sort of get together over a offsite
weekend (in Europe, somewhere) to thrash out ideas.    I'm thinking
something like Mar~May next year (depending on how well Estatio beds in
when it goes live).

Let me know your thoughts, and whether you'd be interested in meeting up to
discuss this (or any other Isis-related stuff, I suppose).

Cheers
Dan

[1] https://github.com/nakedobjectsgroup/spiro
[2] http://simple-dusk-6870.herokuapp.com/arow-fpc.html