isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: What is Apache Isis? Answer by analogy
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 07:18:21 GMT
On 8 September 2013 12:35, Kevin Meyer - KMZ <kevin@kmz.co.za> wrote:

> Folks: Our website is rather "dry" when it comes to describing "What
> is Isis". I want to add a section somewhere...

Please do!  Would be very happy for someone else to also start adding to
the documentation....

> I was trying to describe Isis to some scientist colleagues the other
> night with mixed success. A little later (in the shower, as is so often
> the case), I realised quite a neat analogy: LaTeX [1]

It's a good analogy, though I don't know how many devs today will have know
LaTeX.

> So what is Isis?
> Isis is a framework that lets developers write self-contained code to
> represent a (business) case. Isis examines that code, with its implied
> rules, and automatically renders a UI and handles persistence - at
> runtime. It can also expose the same business case to other services
> while preserving all the encoded business rules (via a REST
> interface), provide Authentication (login control) and Authorisation (is
> this user allowed to do that?).

Just comparing that with our current "hero" text on [3]

*Apache Isis™ software is a framework for rapidly developing domain-driven
apps in Java. Write your business logic in entities, domain services and
repositories, and the framework dynamically generates a representation of
that domain model as a webapp or a RESTful API. For prototyping or
production.
*

I'm not sure there's a lot of difference there...

Dan