isis-users mailing list archives

From David Tildesley <davo...@yahoo.co.nz>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] next gen viewer
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2013 09:55:24 GMT
Hi Dan,

Sounds good (for internet facing apps).

In my opinion, web UI's for internal applications were a big step backwards for enterprises
- clumsy for users and expensive to build (at least before ISIS came along) compared to rich
clients. I guess web technology has advanced to a point where it has almost caught up with
rich client technology of 15 years ago but that's hardly something to crow about. The argument
put forward for web UI's in the enterprise was "zero maintenance" in terms of the desktop
(all the difficulties of packaging and distribution of rich clients eliminated) but then rich
clients caught up in that area (at least for Java). But then comes along smart phones and
tablets and html5 that potentially changes the game again. Or maybe not - html5 turns out
to not be the panacea it was touted to be and now we are back to the future with the horrible
incompatibilities of vendors implementations and versions. Facebook recently publicly vented
on this subject and have declared the end of
 their romp with html5 and a return to native.

With ISIS able to generate many viewers, then perhaps we are looking at the real game changer
in the enterprise being ISIS.

The DnD viewer I understood was a highly productive desktop UI for DSW? of Ireland. Should
it not live on in the form of a JFX based viewer? Then the alternative jscript based viewer(s)
could deliver to a variety of portable devices or instead  a native iOS and Android ISIS
and Metro? app generated viewer.

The wicket viewer is good. However, bouncing around different objects to get a view of information
in a "graph" can be frustrating even with the sliding bookmark bar when you want to go back
a few steps but I guess less frustrating than one of those damn wizards that forces you along
a particular process.

Sometimes (maybe often) it is preferable to present an aggregated view of information in the
UI from an object graph instance. One could achieve this with a custom UI (e.g. calling the
ISIS domain RO viewer) however I'm thinking why not simply use a (transient) ISIS object instead
and treat it as a UI model component which from my point of view simply amounts to making
it transient and putting it in a package that indicates that it is not part of the domain
layer and ensure that this "UI" object has a dependency on the domain layer but never the
other way around ( no dom object should depend on the UI). To give you an example: Say I have
a Human Resource domain (with Person--->Employment--->PositionAssigment--->Position--->OrgUnit--->Organisation)
but I want to implement an easy to enterprise resource directory so that users could quickly
search for people in the organisation and once found display all the relevant and permitted
information about the
 person on a single page so that the user doesn't have to bounce around the dom graph to get
this information. So I have a StaffDetails aggregating object in the UI that dynamically aggregates
the relevant information from the dom object graph by calling dom behaviour. Similarly I might
want to implement a MyDetails UI object for the same reason. Does that make sense? To me,
taking this approach makes the wicket viewer a lot more acceptable to users.

Regards,
David.