isis-users mailing list archives

From Bibonne Fabrice <fabrice.bibo...@insee.fr>
Subject RE: Using Hibernate with Isis
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:21:25 GMT
Thank you for your answer : it helps a lot.

You guessed it : that's the notes version of the ppt referenced at [1]

I'm going to compare the 2 solutions : hibernate with custom persistence or JDO/DataNucleus.

Fabrice

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Dan Haywood [mailto:dan@haywood-associates.co.uk]
Envoyé : mardi 30 avril 2013 11:06
À : users
Objet : Re: Using Hibernate with Isis

On 30 April 2013 09:56, Bibonne Fabrice <fabrice.bibonne@insee.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new with Isis.

Welcome to the mailing list, Fabrice.

> I read presensation introducing Isis.

It'd be useful to reference the PPT.  I'm guessing it's the ones here [1] ?

> On slide 4 it is written one can use Isis with custom persistence. But
> on slide 8 (Isis Architecture), this possibility doesn't appear
> neither in properties file.

That's true enough...

> So my questions are :
> Is there a way to use custom persistence in Isis (and if yes, how) ?

Yes, but it's a pretty advanced topic.  We perhaps should remove mention of that ability from
slide 4.

To write a custom persistor, one needs to implement the PersistenceMechanismInstaller interface,
that acts as a factory.  The main API to be implemented is called ObjectStore, though there
are a bunch of other things that must be considered, (eg lazy loading, dirty object tracking).

> will there be one day an alternative to use hibernate for persistence ?

The short answer is no: Hibernate has an incompatible license with Apache [2], and so will
not be supported unless they change to a more permissive license.

The good news though is that the JDO/DataNucleus objectstore that we have provides broadly
similar (I would argue superior) capabilities.

The quickstart archetype [3] comes with JDO configured, and there's plenty of material on
the website [4].  You can always ask questions here as well.

Hope that helps
Dan

[1] http://isis.apache.org/learning-more/presentations.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-x