isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Using Hibernate with Isis
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:05:47 GMT
On 30 April 2013 09:56, Bibonne Fabrice <fabrice.bibonne@insee.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new with Isis.

Welcome to the mailing list, Fabrice.

> I read presensation introducing Isis.

It'd be useful to reference the PPT.  I'm guessing it's the ones here [1] ?

> On slide 4 it is written one can use Isis with custom persistence. But on
> slide 8 (Isis Architecture), this possibility doesn't appear neither in
> properties file.

That's true enough...

> So my questions are :
> Is there a way to use custom persistence in Isis (and if yes, how) ?

Yes, but it's a pretty advanced topic.  We perhaps should remove mention of
that ability from slide 4.

To write a custom persistor, one needs to implement the
PersistenceMechanismInstaller interface, that acts as a factory.  The main
API to be implemented is called ObjectStore, though there are a bunch of
other things that must be considered, (eg lazy loading, dirty object
tracking).

> will there be one day an alternative to use hibernate for persistence ?

The short answer is no: Hibernate has an incompatible license with Apache
[2], and so will not be supported unless they change to a more permissive
license.

The good news though is that the JDO/DataNucleus objectstore that we have
provides broadly similar (I would argue superior) capabilities.

The quickstart archetype [3] comes with JDO configured, and there's plenty
of material on the website [4].  You can always ask questions here as well.

Hope that helps
Dan

[1] http://isis.apache.org/learning-more/presentations.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-x