isis-users mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Running RestfulObjects viewer alongside Wicket viewer
Date Sun, 09 Dec 2012 07:45:53 GMT
On 9 December 2012 03:40, Adam Howard <howard.adam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been away from the list for a while but trying to get back into
> things.

Good to see you back here, Adam!

> I have an Isis sample app I've written to demo my AROW viewer[1].
> It was created from the quickstart archetype from version 0.2.0-incubating.
> I'm trying to get it updated to 0.3.1-SNAPSHOT and posted on my GitHub
> account as a very simplified example of using Isis (maybe one step up from
> the ToDo list.)
>
> The current ToDo list example zip for Wicket/RO/JDO has separate maven
> modules for the Wicket viewer and the RestfulObjects viewer. In my
> 0.2.0-incubating generated project there is a single "webapp" module that
> runs both the HTML viewer and RestfulObjects viewer.
>
> Is there an issue with running both the Wicket viewer and the
> RestfulObjects viewer in the same webapp (aka web.xml?)

There IS indeed an issue, namely that the Wicket viewer uses its own
implementation of the IsisContext service locator in order to integrate
with Wicket's lifecycle management.

> Is this considered
> bad practice and they should each have there own deployment?

I don't particularly see it as bad practice to do this, but it just isn't
possible at the moment.

If you configure each to run with any objectstore other than the default
inmemory object store, you should be able to see changes in one reflected
in the other.

> On a side note, the new styling of the Wicket viewer looks amazing! If I
> remember the thread right, this was a donation from the project Dan is
> working on. Kudos to your employer for giving back to the community.

Credit must go to Jeroen and to his client, Eurocommercial Properties NV
[1].  Not only were they kind enough to donate this work back to the
community, they are also funding Isis' ongoing development by engaging me
part-time to work with Jeroen develop their application.  Hence the work
done on the Wicket viewer, plus the new JDO objectstore.

Next year, when we have that application into production, I intend (with
their permission) to put together an acknowledgement page on the Isis site,
along with a case study by way of reference.

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://www.eurocommercialproperties.com/