From James Pic <james...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Proposal: Commit guidelines
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:03:27 GMT
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Jerome Renard <jerome.renard@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Normal case is generally to fix issues in one single commit. But it
>> happens that a fix does not fully solve the problem and the bug to be
>> reopened.
>> I think we can simply have something like:
>>
>> First commit solving ZETACOMP-XX:
>> "- Fixed #ZETACOMP-XX: Double conversion of HTML entities"
>>
>> Second commit because of a special case not covered by initial fix:
>> "- Fixed #ZETACOMP-XX: Double conversion of HTML entities
>>
>> Covering the case when ..."
>>
>> This way it is quite easy to look (grep) at "Fixed #ZETACOMP-XX:" for
>> commits related to that issue, knowing that all those commits are
>> required to fully fix the problem.
>>

> Well you could use grep on what I proposed as well but this is really a detail.
>
> I like your proposal because it is simpler than mine and also because there is
> a flaw in my proposal : you may never know when you are finished with a fix
> because it can be reopened over and over again, so adding an "END" in a commit
> message does not make any sense.

START WIP END is not necessary and is error prone as you demonstrated.

That said, I agree that it would be convenient that every commit
related to an issue would contain the issue number in its message.

Finally, note that Tobias wrote the actual standards that were already
used and have been proven to work. It is not necessary to bloat them
anyway.

Cheers

James