From Jerome Renard <jerome.ren...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Proposal: Commit guidelines
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 05:50:20 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Patrick ALLAERT
<patrick.allaert@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/1 Tobias Schlitt <tobias@schlitt.info>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote down our commit guidelines. Please review them shortly, before I
>> commit:
>>
>>        http://files.schlitt.info/tmp/commit_guidelines.patch
>
> Good work Toby!
>
> I have however a remark regarding:
>
> +However, larger features or bug fixes, should be split them into smaller
> +commits. In this case, the issue number should only occur in the final commit,
> +which closes the issue.
>
> I think having the issue number on the latest commit only might be a
> problem for different reasons:
> 1. While looking at a commit mentioning an issue ID, you have no clue
> whether other commits are required or not to fix that specific issue.
> 2. In the case a commit fixing a bug has to be reverted for whatever
> the reason, the one which will definitely resolve the problem will
> also mention that issue which is not consistent to the guidelines.
> 3. In the case a bug issue is reopened, we might have the same problem as in 2.

I already thought about this problem but to be honnest I never found
an acceptable
solution. The only "solution" I came up with is to write commit log
message like this:

- Fixed #1234321 part 1 : bla bla bla bla

That way you actually now which commits are related to which issue but
I really do not
like this solution at all. The ideal solution would be to create a new
branch named "issue-XXX"
which contain as many commits as required and then push/merge the
branch when the
issue/feature is fixed/implemented. But that requires Git (or
Mercurial) and ASF only provides
SVN (Git is only a read only mirror).

:)

--