From Jerome Renard <jerome.ren...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Proposal: Commit guidelines
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:29:31 GMT
Hello Patrick :)

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Patrick ALLAERT <patrickallaert@php.net> wrote:
> 2011/4/8 Jerome Renard <jerome.renard@gmail.com>:
[...]
>>> Perhaps it's possible to come up with some other (fixed) term instead of "part
>>> X" after the issue number. A term that means something like: "not
>>> finished", "to be continued" or whatever. It shouldn't be to long. Perhaps an
>>> abbreviation.
>>>

>> Why not, how about something like this ?
>>
>> - Fixed #XXX : bla bla bla START
>> - Fixed #XXX : bla bla bla WIP
>> [...]
>> - Fixed #XXX : bla bla bla END
>
> Should we really mention all that info?

Yes because it is part of the convention, well the "Fixed #XXX : bla
bla bla" part.

> I would propose to only use:
> - Fixed #XXX: ...
>
> Normal case is generally to fix issues in one single commit. But it
> happens that a fix does not fully solve the problem and the bug to be
> reopened.
> I think we can simply have something like:
>
> First commit solving ZETACOMP-XX:
> "- Fixed #ZETACOMP-XX: Double conversion of HTML entities"
>
> Second commit because of a special case not covered by initial fix:
> "- Fixed #ZETACOMP-XX: Double conversion of HTML entities
>
> Covering the case when ..."
>
> This way it is quite easy to look (grep) at "Fixed #ZETACOMP-XX:" for
> commits related to that issue, knowing that all those commits are
> required to fully fix the problem.

Well you could use grep on what I proposed as well but this is really a detail.

I like your proposal because it is simpler than mine and also because there is
a flaw in my proposal : you may never know when you are finished with a fix
because it can be reopened over and over again, so adding an "END" in a commit
message does not make any sense.

--
Jérôme Renard
http://39web.fr | http://jrenard.info | http://twitter.com/jeromerenard