From Patrick ALLAERT <patrick.alla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Proposal: Commit guidelines
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:09:10 GMT
2011/4/1 Tobias Schlitt <tobias@schlitt.info>:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote down our commit guidelines. Please review them shortly, before I
> commit:
>
>        http://files.schlitt.info/tmp/commit_guidelines.patch

Good work Toby!

I have however a remark regarding:

+However, larger features or bug fixes, should be split them into smaller
+commits. In this case, the issue number should only occur in the final commit,
+which closes the issue.

I think having the issue number on the latest commit only might be a
problem for different reasons:
1. While looking at a commit mentioning an issue ID, you have no clue
whether other commits are required or not to fix that specific issue.
2. In the case a commit fixing a bug has to be reverted for whatever
the reason, the one which will definitely resolve the problem will
also mention that issue which is not consistent to the guidelines.
3. In the case a bug issue is reopened, we might have the same problem as in 2.

Those issue are mostly annoying for bugs.

Is there a drawback that every commits related to an issue is using
the same format as for the final one?

Using it systematically for bugs and not for feature request is a
possible workaround, but it introduces a difference in the process of
handling issues depending on the type we might want to avoid.

Cheers,
Patrick