From Tobias Schlitt <tob...@schlitt.info>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] PHP based build system : Phing VS Pake
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:43:11 GMT
On 04/14/2011 11:36 AM, Jerome Renard wrote:

>> I still prefer cli options than env vars for 90% of the time though, as it's
>> easier to understand what is happening when the options are explicit.
>>
>> But, as far as I can see in your code, what you can do is that you can swap
>> out one config file with another.
>>
>> What I was asking to is to separate cofig options: one set that is
>> project-specific (stored in the config file), and one set that is specific
>> to the build environment (passed via cli options or env vars).

> I'll see how to pass arguments from the command line in Pake then.

I'd suggest to use some kind of "properties" file for configuration.

At least that is what we do when using ant. Our scripts ship with a
build.properties file and the script itself looks for
build.local.properties. If this doesn't exist, it bails out with a
message that the user should copy and adjust the original file.

This way is pretty convenient and most obvious I'd say.

Cheers,
Toby

--
Tobias Schlitt        http://schlitt.info        GPG Key: 0xC462BC14