From Ronan Guilloux <ronan.guill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Documentation
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:11:24 GMT
2011/1/11 James Pic <jamespic@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Ronan Guilloux <ronan.guilloux@gmail.com
> >wrote:

(...)

 Adding cronjobs is easy, but this should be documented or shown in an
> > example a day, since it's a common need.
>

> Do you mean, how to setup a cronjob and post-commit hooks ?
> What do you think would be zetacomponents-specific about that ?

=> Sorry I wasn't clear : Just setting up a simple runcronjob.php to be
called from the crontab, with daily/weekly/frequent options calls (the
ezpublish way, I mean). This just needs to understand the AZC's autoload
environment, so no difficults here.

(...)

> > The main difficult I encountered was to implement PhpUnit easely. Some
> > weeks
> > ago I crawled the all Zeta Components example apps (here :
> > http://goo.gl/Xg828) but I didn't found any app implementing PhpUnit
> yet.
> > PhpUnit doc about bootstrapping was not clear enough to me.
>

> Did you consider Arbit project sources ? It's built upon ZetaComponents and
> uses PHPUnit for testing.

Yes, and I now used it, and started to become an Arbit fan ! But I often run
my PhpUnitTests the CLI-way, in my own dev env, before sending my commits to
the CI server.

> UnitTest barely wraps around PHPUnit, providing a few features that are
> specific to components tests.
>
> Which of its features do you need in your project ?

I just missed the PHPunit bootstrap file, provided in the UnitTest component

 > Implemeting PhpUnit into Zeta Components needs a tutorial
> >

> Did you consider:
>
> The tutorial to install PHPUnit:
> http://www.phpunit.de/manual/current/en/installation.html
> The tutorial to writing tests:
> http://www.phpunit.de/manual/current/en/writing-tests-for-phpunit.html
> The tutorial automating builds:
> http://www.phpunit.de/manual/current/en/build-automation.html
> The tutorial to continuous integration by Arbit:
>
> http://tracker.arbitracker.org/arbit/documentation/view/ContinuousIntegration

I'd candidate although i'd need your opinion concerning the following
> questions:
>
> - do these tutorial contain the informations you are looking for ?
> - if not, what other information do you need ?
> - if so, why, where and how should the components cover these topics ?

In short, PhpUnit just failed to test Zeta's exceptions objects, and needed
an explicit bootstrap to do the job. UnitTests provides such a bootstrap
file, unfortunatly UnitTest is'nt part of the Zeta's PEAR packages yet, and
I just missed this point. I don't know if including the UnitTest into PEAR
is roadmapped for now. I think newbie dev like me need a short paragraph in
the Zeta tutorials, something like "How to implement PhpUnit tests into your
Zeta-based App"

Thanks to you James,
Ronan