From Henri Bergius <ber...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Update: Proposal: Release process
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:21:35 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Schlitt <tobias@schlitt.info> wrote:
> - full-package releases twice a year with somewhat fixed dates

We discussed this a bit on the IRC, and I proposed following the
general open source synchronized six month release schedule. This
typically means Feb/Aug for libraries, Mar/Sep for applications, and
Apr/Oct for distributions. This helps the downstream in two ways:

* People writing applications that depend on Zeta have a reliable
schedule they can work with ("I know feature X will be there in
February 2011"). They also have enough time to update their
application to use the latest library before distributions ship
* If we want to have Zeta in distributions, then each
Ubuntu/Fedora/whatever release will have a fresh Zeta version

Some related links:
http://lwn.net/Articles/345353/
http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/midgard-benefits_of_synchronized_releases/

> Toby