From Tobias Schlitt <tob...@schlitt.info>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Update: Proposal: Release process
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:30:17 GMT
Hi Henri,

On 12/07/2010 04:21 PM, Henri Bergius wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Schlitt <tobias@schlitt.info> wrote:

>> - full-package releases twice a year with somewhat fixed dates

> We discussed this a bit on the IRC, and I proposed following the
> general open source synchronized six month release schedule. This
> typically means Feb/Aug for libraries, Mar/Sep for applications, and
> Apr/Oct for distributions. This helps the downstream in two ways:

yeah, the previous rule we had was "before X-mas" and "before summer
vacation". That does not fit the Feb/Aug rule perfectly, but is close
enough to fit the schedule for other projects. Right?

> * People writing applications that depend on Zeta have a reliable
> schedule they can work with ("I know feature X will be there in
> February 2011"). They also have enough time to update their
> application to use the latest library before distributions ship

This point could become a bit hard, since I don't expect that people
know exactly beforehand, what features will be ready to be released.
However, having these fixed dates is a good incentive for maintainers to
have their stuff ready by time.

> * If we want to have Zeta in distributions, then each
> Ubuntu/Fedora/whatever release will have a fresh Zeta version

> Some related links:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/345353/
> http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/midgard-benefits_of_synchronized_releases/

Sounds neat.