From Derick Rethans <der...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Proposal: Location component
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:05:39 GMT
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Henri Bergius wrote:

> Spot
> ----
> A spot is an actual location on a map. This consists of WGS-84
> latitude and longitude. Optionally spots may have an altitude,
> timestamp, accuracy and a human-readable description.

You surely would like to call this a "point" instead? Also, are you
thinking of only doing WGS-84 here?

> Spot should also be able to calculate distance and direction to other
> spots, and to provide a bounding box around them at a given radius.

"Bounding box at a radius" ... that doesn't make sense. A box is not a
circle :P

> Geocoding
> ---------
> Geocoding is a service for converting human-readable locations to
> actual coordinates (spots). There should be an interface for geocoding
> utilizing various online geocoding services like GeoNames and
> OpenStreetMap Nominatim. Users of the component should be able to
> create their own geocoding service implementations.
>
> Reverse geocoding
> -----------------
> Reverse geocoding is a service for converting actual coordinates
> (spots) into human-readable locations. There should be an interface
> for reverse geocoding utilizing various online geocoding services like
> GeoNames and OpenStreetMap Nominatim. Users of the component should be
> able to create their own reverse geocoding service implementations.

All of those services provide information in a slightly different way
though. Especially with admin-levels. There ought to be an abstraction
for this.

> IP geocoding
> ------------
> IP geocoding is a service for converting an IP address to an
> approximate geographical location of the network. This can be used to
> locate users of a website for instance, in cases where browser
> geolocationing is not possible. The IP geocoding interface should be
> able to talk to at least HostIP web service to perform geocoding.
>
> 1: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-zeta-dev/201011.mbox/%3CAANLkTi=2J_VHBrmc3x55eKkJOJwTuq-=9dDMs0zvnX-K@mail.gmail.com%3E
> 2: https://github.com/bergie/midgardmvc_helper_location

I am missing a few other location things that would also make sense:

- Obtaining the location through Google's geolocation services:
  http://talks.php.net/show/maps-afup10/18 and
  http://talks.php.net/show/maps-ipc10/22 (by providing ssid/mac
  addresses).
- Skyhook also provides an interface.