From Maxime Thomas <maxime.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Survey on PHP library release modes
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:57:20 GMT
2010/11/27 Jerome Renard <jerome.renard@gmail.com>

> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Tobias Schlitt <tobias@schlitt.info>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about to start a little online survey to check out how users in the
> > PHP world would love to see their favorite libraries being released.
> > I'll mainly do this out of private interest, but it might also help us
> > to optimize our release process.
> >

> Excellent idea :)
>
> > Find below some questions for discussion. Whenever there is no
> > additional info, only a single answer may be chosen.
> >
> > 1. Which libraries / frameworks do you use?
> >
> > (multiple answers possible)
> >

> > - ADOdb
> > - Apache Zeta Components
> > - Cake PHP
> > - CodeIgniter
> > - Doctrine 1
> > - Doctrine 2
> > - eZ Components
> > - Horde
> > - PEAR
> > - Propel
> > - Seagull
> > - Symfony
> > - Zend Framework
> > - Another framework / library (free text)
> > - I code everything on my own
> >
> > 2. What is your preferred way of installing PHP libraries?
> >
> > - PEAR
> > - Custom installer
> > - Manual download
> > - OS based package management
>
> I would just add something like (apt-get, yum, rpm), just to avoid any
> confusion
> from beginner users.
>
> > - Version control (SVN external, Git sub-module, etc.)
> > - Something else (free Text)
> >
> > 3. Do you prefer bundles over single component installs?
> >
> > - I want to install each component separately
> > - I want a bundle with all components from a library
> >
> > 4. How would you expect a PHP library project to do releases?
> >
> > - Irregularly whenever something is ready
> > - Regularly with multiple additions bundled
> >
> > 5. How do you want to deploy PHP library components?
> >
> > - I bundle library components with my application
> > - I deploy libraries and application separately
> >
> > Do you have anything to add / change?
> >

> Even though I think it looks really good, would you think relevant
> to add a question about depedency ? For example framework
> needs external dependency X or Y.
>
> How do they prefer installing this dependency ?
> Possible options:
> - via PEAR
> - I want to get it bundled with the framework
> - I want to install it manually
>
> Not sure I am completely clear here. If it's not just tell me :)
>
> --
> Jérôme Renard
> http://39web.fr | http://jrenard.info | http://twitter.com/jeromerenard

Excellent idea.

We can also ask :
- the job of the person answering : system admin / webmaster / not IT
- the platform : Unix / Linux systems or Windows
- the level of industrialization : tailor made platform (you have every
things installed as you want), shared platform (the web hosting company has
decided for you you what you can do or not), generic platform (you grouped
some of your application and factorize software layers : using PEAR, Zend or
whatever).

I think we have to segment the survey's answer because some will use it in
one way and other in the other way.

Will you publish the results of the survey ?

Maxime
maxime.thomas@wascou.org | www.wascou.org | http://twitter.com/wascou