From Tobias Schlitt <tob...@schlitt.info>
Subject [zeta-dev] Survey on PHP library release modes
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:40:43 GMT
Hi,

I'm about to start a little online survey to check out how users in the
PHP world would love to see their favorite libraries being released.
I'll mainly do this out of private interest, but it might also help us
to optimize our release process.

Find below some questions for discussion. Whenever there is no
additional info, only a single answer may be chosen.

1. Which libraries / frameworks do you use?

(multiple answers possible)

- ADOdb
- Apache Zeta Components
- Cake PHP
- CodeIgniter
- Doctrine 1
- Doctrine 2
- eZ Components
- Horde
- PEAR
- Propel
- Seagull
- Symfony
- Zend Framework
- Another framework / library (free text)
- I code everything on my own

2. What is your preferred way of installing PHP libraries?

- PEAR
- Custom installer
- Manual download
- OS based package management
- Version control (SVN external, Git sub-module, etc.)
- Something else (free Text)

3. Do you prefer bundles over single component installs?

- I want to install each component separately
- I want a bundle with all components from a library

4. How would you expect a PHP library project to do releases?

- Irregularly whenever something is ready
- Regularly with multiple additions bundled

5. How do you want to deploy PHP library components?

- I bundle library components with my application
- I deploy libraries and application separately

Do you have anything to add / change?

I plan to use a Twtsurvey [1] for this or do you know anything better?

Regards,
Toby

[1] http://twtsurvey.com/

--