incubator-zeta-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Manuel Pichler <>
Subject Re: [zeta-dev] Piwi and ZC (was: Re: [zeta-dev] Re: Class prefix change, was: Re: [zeta-dev] Welcome Apache Zeta Components - SVN up and running :))
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:14:37 GMT
Hello everyone,

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 13:40 +0200, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> However I would like to know if there has been a decision meanwhile on
> the prefix issue (see below). I would like to avoid to include ZC
> before this change has been done, if it is going to happen.
> My preference is to change it. Its basically a complete rebrand and
> when ZC offers some kind of helper script for users to at least
> announce the files which use the wrong prefix, everything should be
> pretty ok. I also think it's the last chance to do such a change. When
> the next release is out people will claim about backwards
> compatiblity.
> OK would like to hear you opinions on the prefix change.

I think this is a 100% no go for a product that claims to be enterprisy.
Even when I would like to see namespaces, instead of this annoying
prefixes, I would not recommend to do such a BC break. I have used
several components of eZ/Zeta in many projects during the lastfive years
and such a change will break all of them or they cannot be updated. I am
really sure that most of project owners are not willing to pay for this
refactoring, at least not in the next few weeks/months. In my opinion
such a  critical BC-break would let many(maybe most) users leave the
project, because what can I expect from a project in the long-term, when
these changes are done adhoc, without a long-tail-support phase.

Just my 2 cent

View raw message