From "Mosur Ravi, Balaji" <br...@iona.com>
Subject RE: WS-Addressing support in Yoko
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:45:11 GMT
Thanks Eoghan...

I would like to encode the WS-A properties in the ServiceContext, so
that we can take advantage of the transport neutral way of doing this.
But I would also like to understand the other transport specific way of
passing in the information.

Is there a wiki where these things are documented? Or can you point me
to a piece of code that I can take a look at?

Thanks

Balaji

-----Original Message-----
From: Glynn, Eoghan [mailto:eoghan.glynn@iona.com]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 10:21 AM
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: WS-Addressing support in Yoko

<wsam:Addressing> is a WS-Policy that can be used to enable
WS-Addressing for a particular subject in the WSDL (e.g. a port, or
service, or binding).

It can also be used to assert various requirements and capabilities
related to WS-A, e.g. that the presence of WS-A properties in incoming
messages is mandatory, or that non-anonymous responses are supported.

CXF can consume these policy assertions and auto-magically include the
corresponding interceptors into the client-side interceptor chain.

Now if a server was to expose *both* SOAP and CORBA bindings via the
same <wsdl:service>, then asserting the policy at the service level
would obviously be inappropriate as Yoko couldn't match the requirement
with the corresponding capability. Hence it would only make sense to
attach the Addressing policy to the SOAP binding. Which is fine.

My main interest in this currently is figuring out which policies would
realistically tend to be asserted for a specific binding, but would also
have a "logical" component that could stand on its own if the binding
were by-passed completely, as would be the case for an optimized
colocated dispatch. Addressing seemingly falls into this category.

Would it make sense to extend Yoko to encode WS-A properties in
IOP::ServiceContexts? Well one obvious use-case is a default-servant
type pattern where the individual fine-grained targets are distinguished
via a uniqueID or marker passed via WS-A reference parameters. This is
the default transport-neutral way of doing this in CXF (which I just
committed today on behalf of Gary Tully).

However CXF also allows a transport-specific alternative mechanism to be
supported, e.g. buring the uniqueID into a URI for HTTP. And for CORBA,
the obvious approach would be to burn it into the object key. So I guess
the point is that support for WS-A reference parameters wouldn't be
required to make the CXF version of the default-servant pattern work for
Yoko.

> Also, what type of policy assertions are you planning for the
> soap cases?

Other examples that typically only make sense in the SOAP case would be
policies to enable WS-RM (currently supported by CXF), MTOM (not yet
supported but easy to do) and WS-SecurityPolicy (not yet supported but
harder to do, partly due the way WS-Security is implemented in CXF,
partly due to its intrinsic complexity).

Cheers,
Eoghan