From "Nolan, Edell" <Edell.No...@iona.com>
Subject RE: Rules for a release vote.
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:56:46 GMT
Hi,

Don't get me wrong I am very willing to help the Geronimo guys out
and build the community. I just want to understand whats involved
And if other projects to do this - then I would be very interested to
Know how they manage requests for releases, patches etc.

Edell.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kulp [mailto:daniel.kulp@iona.com]
Sent: 20 February 2007 17:25
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rules for a release vote.

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 12:03, Nolan, Edell wrote:
> But surely Yoko should be considered as a whole.
> Is it the practice of other Apache projects that they release
> Different modules for different releases.

Actually, yes.   Several projects do that.   Releasing tuscany is a
pain.
It's a release of the "buildtools" stuff, a release of the specs, a
release
of sdo, release of the core, etc....    All are separate releases.
Also,
any projects that has multiple languages usually release each language
separately.

IMO, the stuff Rick is doing to create the "embedded" distribution is a
good
thing (although I think I would have gone the profile route).    Long
term, I
feel having that is good for the project no matter what the releases
look
like in the short term.

Short term: I'm fundamentally against releasing anything based on
snapshot
dependencies whether or not we tag them for reproducibility or not.  (I
now
pretty much -1 releases that have snapshot dependencies since the
resulting
artifacts will be useless in the maven repositories.)   The CXF project
has
said the stuff is not "stable" and thus I really don't like the idea of
shipping it.    However, I recognize that Geronimo needs a release of
the
core stuff (and I assume Harmony would as well) and as community
building
thing, I'd like to provide them with that.   Thus, I would say releasing
the
embedded stuff for them (that doesn't have the snapshot dependencies) is
good
for the project and for the community.

Anyway, I'm not a yoko committer and thus don't have any binding votes,
but
that's my opinion.

Dan

--