From "Mosur Ravi, Balaji" <br...@iona.com>
Subject RE: M2 Release (was: Rules for a release vote.)
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:20:56 GMT
With the patch this time....

-balaji

________________________________

From: Mosur Ravi, Balaji [mailto:bravi@iona.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:14 PM
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org; yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: M2 Release (was: Rules for a release vote.)

Hi,

I have attached the patch that contains the fixes needed to release just
the core orb part of yoko using profiles.

So, when run with the profile runtime(mvn -Pruntime) it will build only
the core, spec & rmi modules. It will leave out the api,
bindings & tools modules. But by default, everything would be built.

And when building the distribution, again when using profile runtime, a
runtime binary assembly will be included. The src assembly remains the
same.

After the M2 release, we will get rid of the profiles & retain only the
runtime binary assembly part.

The reason for doing this is purely to help out Geronimo because cxf at
this point is not stable, so we cannot release the complete yoko because
parts of it are dependent on CXF.

I am against splitting yoko in to 2 projects because i think the ORB is
stable and we could built the tools & WS-bindings around it to keep the
yoko project moving forward. This is where i see most of the development
happen.

Once M2 goes out of the door, we would add bindings & api modules to the
runtime assembly, so that we have a clean separation of tools & runtime.

Do we need to start a vote on this or are we all in agreement?

I will commit the patch once we are in agreement.

Thanks

Balaji