incubator-yoko-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Vescovi, Matteo" <matteo.vesc...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Request for creating the M2 release.
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:45:54 GMT
Hi,
I think that going for a M2 release is the best solution.

I would like a few more features to go into the tools before we do a 1.0 
release.
 From the tools perspective, doing a 1.0 release might be a bit premature.

I don't like the idea of splitting up the ORB core for the sake of a 
release.
Such a release would be a 'maimed' release, missing many functional pieces.
It would not reflect the what the yoko project is in its entirety.
It would also require additional work to craft the ORB core only binary 
package.

On the other hand, releasing a second milestone certainly does not hurt.
It is good for our project and for other projects, and we are always 
glad to help.

- Matteo



Mosur Ravi, Balaji wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  
>
> I am bit undecided here... 
>
>  
>
> We can do a 1.0 release with just the ORB core & then when CXF has done
> its final release, then we can release the corba binding & tools module.
> (This might be more work because currently we distribute everything!!!).
> The binary release would just include the ORB & the Source release would
> include all the modules.
>
>  
>
> Would this be acceptable? We still don't have documentation of the ORB,
> so releasing would make it not much usable.
>
>  
>
> Any other ideas?
>
>  
>
> I am also open to just releasing a M2 release, this would give us more
> time to finish off documentation & include all the modules of yoko.
>
>  
>
> - Balaji
>
>  
>
>  
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Matt Hogstrom [mailto:matt@hogstrom.org] 
> Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 10:48 AM
> To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Request for creating the M2 release. 
>
>  
>
> I know Dain is looking for a 1.0 release for Geronimo and I'm  
>
> interested in any kind of release for our next Milestone.  It would  
>
> help out your brothers in Geronimo land greatly if at a minimum you  
>
> could cut a milestone in the next few days based on Rick's progress.   
>
> It would be even sweeter if Geronimo 1.2 went out with a released  
>
> version of Yoko at 1.0.
>
>  
>
> Don't fall into the Geronimo trap of waiting for things to be perfect  
>
> to make a release.  You have a stable release that has been used in  
>
> TCKing Geronimo and that is a huge thing.  Put out the 1.0 now, work  
>
> on web services piece for CXF and release a 1.1.  It helps keep  
>
> people interested when the release train keeps moving.  Also,  
>
> releasing software is a demonstrable action of the community that  
>
> shows its working together, technically vibrant and administering  
>
> oversight in the more mundane things like releasing software.
>
>  
>
> Anyway, my 2c.
>
>  
>
> So, if you could release a 1.0 in the next few days awesome...a  
>
> Milestone in the next few days...most excellent.  Planning for  
>
> greater things is interesting and necessary but your user community  
>
> is humbly asking for a release; pretty please with sugar on top :)
>
>  
>
> On Feb 8, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>  
>
>   
>> Geronimo has made great progress on the TCK using Yoko, and we're  
>>     
>
>   
>> starting to put things together for 1.2 release.  For the 1.2 Beta  
>>     
>
>   
>> release Geronimo shipped with an interim snapshot version, but for  
>>     
>
>   
>> the final 1.2 release, we'd like to use an actual release version.   
>>     
>
>   
>> Can we get the process started to ship an M2 release?  And more  
>>     
>
>   
>> importantly, can we get it released in a more timely fashion than  
>>     
>
>   
>> was done for the M1 release?
>>     
>
>   
>
>   
>> Rick
>>     
>
>   
>
>  
>
>
>   


Mime
View raw message